Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Summer Squash Risotto

I wanted to be blogging more, much more, than I have been.

I've been happy.

But, tired, busy, distracted. Maybe a little stressed.

Mostly, I find that I don't have that much to say.

Last Friday, I had some friends over for dinner. It was nice to catch up and enjoy the sunshine :).

Blake, my friend's baby

I made a *delicious vegetable risotto. I started with this recipe, but quickly changed it and adapted it. And, I just realized, I somehow forgot to take a picture of the finished product. Sorry.

Summer Squash Risotto with Mushrooms and Roasted Peppers
Serves about 6

3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Yellow Onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
1/2 cup white wine
5-6 cups vegetable broth (I use Better Than Bullion brand)
1 1/2 cup Arborio rice
2 medium zucchini
1-2 cups roughly chopped mushrooms
2 roasted peppers
Freshly ground pepper



1. Wash squash & cut into 1/2 moons about a 1/2 inch thick. Set aside.
2. In a large, heavy saucepan,  heat olive oil, & add onion & garlic. Saute for 3-5 minutes over medium heat.
3. Stir in the rice, & cook 2 minutes until opaque. Add wine & stir until absorbed.
4. Pour broth into rice, one cup at a time, stirring frequently over medium heat, after each addition. Wait until broth is almost completely absorbed before adding more.
5. While rice is cooking, chop and roast peppers on the grill. (You can also use an electric grill, like a George Forman).
6. Saute Mushrooms in olive oil
7. After about 15 minutes, add squash & mushrooms to rice. Continue stirring & adding broth until the vegetables are tender & the rice is al dente but looks creamy, about 5 minutes.
8. Remove from heat, add pepper to taste.

Serve with grilled bread.

*At least I think so

No comments:

Post a Comment