Pages

Monday, March 9, 2015

Weekend Adventures

I wrote this blog about a show I worked Saturday. It is super long. I took the format from This American Life. The longest part of it is the Prologue ... because I talk about me.

Prologue

This weekend I had a unique opportunity to spend time with This American Life host Ira Glass. My good friend Diane runs Weber State University Cultural Affairs and was bringing in Ira's Three Acts, Two Dancers and One Radio Host show to the Peery's Egyptian Theater on Saturday night.
Diane runs Cultural Affairs without assistance, I don't know how she does it. SUPERWOMAN! But, every once in a while she does need backup. I call myself her sidekick. When she needs a couple of extra hands to run errands or make airport runs, I step in and help her out.

A couple weeks ago she told me she needed help with the Ira show and I was thrilled in a way that only other NPR geeks will be able to understand. And she gave me the good job. She let me be the person to pick up Ira Glass. I wasn't sure how to prepare myself for sitting next to someone who comes through my radio every week.

After much anticipation, Saturday March 7th arrived! I was ready! I had planned out step-by-step exactly what I was going to do so that everything would go smoothly. I wasn't about to humiliate myself in front of one of my idols. I was going to leave exceptionally early, fill my car up with gas and on my way to the interstate pick up a cup of coffee from the little shop by my apartment.
The first TWO steps of my plan went perfectly. So, I can't say things completely failed. I left the house with ample amount of time to make it to the airport and drove over to Maverick. I filled my car up and jumped back in when … nothing. My car wouldn't even turn over. Somehow, in the previous 2 minutes it had forgotten how to work. I was stuck.

The man in the truck behind me, waiting to use the pump, was becoming extremely impatient, as I was starting to panic. I walked over to him and explained what happened. My car wouldn't start. Could he help me push it TEN FEET so it wouldn't be in the way anymore and I could figure stuff out??? He rolled his eyes at me and DROVE AWAY. Thanks.

Luckily, a Samaritan eavesdropper heard my plight and offered to help as soon as his sons got out of the store. They were amazing. We push started my car, thank goodness for a manual transmission! I roared off and called my dad to explain what happened. He offered to meet me by his exit so that I could take his car to pick up Ira and not risk being stuck with a radio host in a car that wouldn't start. This was great. Wonderful. So nice. My dad is awesome. The only trouble was that it was 15 – 20 minutes each way to the Roy Exit, meaning it would put me almost 40 minutes behind my schedule.
I gunned it down the freeway and met my dad at the Sushi Ya in Roy. When I got back on the freeway in my dad's car, I had about 35 minutes before Ira's flight was going to land. It would be cutting it close, but I hoped that I was going to make it. Luckily, traffic was minimal and the speed limits have almost all been raised to 70.

Finally, I pulled into the Park & Wait in Salt Lake City airport. Less than two minutes later Ira Glass was talking in my phone, telling me he was at the airport and ready for pickup. It was a little surreal! So, even though things were initially hectic, it all worked out. It just shows, though Boyfriend may disagree, excessively planning ahead does pay off.

Act I

When I answered my phone, I got goose bumps. A voice that I only hear on my radio was in my phone. Talking to me. Telling me where he was. I didn't know what to say. My biggest goal for the day was to not make a fool of myself, which sometimes can be a tall order.

About two seconds into our conversation, Ira yelled "F***! F***! It's warm here!! I thought it was supposed to be winter?!" He was wearing a wool coat and scarf. It was about 55 that morning. Yay global warming …

The car ride went pretty smooth. Due to bad weather in other states, the other members of the team were delayed, so everyone was starting off behind schedule and we needed to book it to the theater.
I told Ira about Utah, even though he has been here dozens of times. Talked to him a little about my job, my life. We talked about the mountains and how he has never been hiking. I'd never met anyone who hasn't been hiking. When he asked about Boyfriend, and who made the first move after a full three years of being friends. I said the only thing I could … Alcohol. And, that we were close friends before and now we get to be close friends with bills.

Act II

Almost nothing happened in this portion of the day. But, I needed to stick to this format. There has to be an Act II. I'll just sum things up.

I read my book. Boyfriend got home from work.

We left to pick up the Will Call tickets from the Dee Events Center and dropped them off at the Egyptian Theater.

Then! We met up with Ira. I introduced him to Boyfriend. I was relived because Boyfriend really helps with the not look like an i

diot goal. We had a great walk from the theater to the meet and greet reception at Downtown WSU. Ira is hilarious and extremely personable, which I guess is his job -- making it easy to talk.

After the reception, we hustled over to the show. It was great! It consists of Ira, Monica Barnes and Anna Bass. They make some jokes and do some funny dancing. Both Monica and Anna are phenomenal dancers, Ira not so much. But even this adds to the show. I recommend looking it up.

When the show was over, we didn't leave immediately. We were waiting to see if Diane would need anymore help.

Unfortunately, she didn't and we didn't get to take Ira back to his hotel in Salt Lake.

Act III

Since we had nothing to do, we went to The Pie. THE BEST PIZZA IN THE WORLD. We noticed two full pitchers of lonely beer. It was just sitting there … unattended. We may or may not have taken it. Even though that is kind of weird.

So, even though we didn't get to spend anymore time with Ira Glass, we had a wonderful, wonderful dinner. Great pizza, great beer and I'm hilarious!

Overall, it was a great evening. It went too fast, most good days do.

No comments:

Post a Comment