Pages

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Forced Announcement

I can't believe it is already June. I say that every time I write a post at the beginning of the month. I'm going to try to stop, but from now on it is implied. Cool?

Boyfriend and I are getting ready to go to Virginia Beach. We are going to be spending massive amounts of time in a beach house with his whole family. Nervous. Anxious! Wine? Wine will help.

So, lately I haven't been the greatest vegan. My "friend" Kent is annoyed that everyone doesn't know this. Apparently, the choices I make and what I choose to consume/put in my body is not a personal choice -- it is his business and everyone's business.

I've been eating eggs, from my friend Val's chickens and some cheese. It started as a small amount of farmers market cheese and has expanded from there. I would like to say that this slow descent was preceded by a thought process involving my values and code of ethics. Rather, it was preceded by a general apathy. I'm tired, I'm swapping my own convenience at the expense of other sentient beings. I realize that. I think there are a lot of things contributing to this lapse, but apathy is the most pertinent or maybe what the reasons all boil down to. And, I don't mind right now. I don't feel any worse for taking a step back for awhile. I don't often go easy on myself, but for once I'm not beating myself up about it.

On the positive side, it has been pretty wonderful. Boyfriend and I have a standing date every week where we go to Harmons and buy fancy cheeses on Fridays, after catching a matinee at Station Park. Small things in life. Plus, cheese goes great with wine.

Our date night spread, on a terrible Penn State plate.
I'm still vegetarian. I don't see myself changing that. But, honestly, anything could happen. Maybe I lied about not thinking about things, I'm probably just trying not to think about things right now while I get through the next few months. Or, maybe I'll push stuff off until I come to a breaking point or a realization. Or, maybe ... I'll just keep heading down this road until I decide to get back on track with veganism or vegetarianism. I'm enjoying life, trying to get through grad school and work. I have enough on my plate (HA! A pun!).

I'm thinking about redoing my blog. No matter I'm doing I don't feel like vegan is a big piece of who I am right now. It isn't a label that feels like "me" and blogging under the title just feels ... off. It isn't what I want to talk about, and I haven't been. I can't remember the last time I put up a recipe or restaurant review.

A really, really awful picture. Taken by said Kent Dunn.
Designed to show the lovely cheeseburger t-shirt that Boyfriend picked.
I'm open to suggestions for new name ideas, ideally things that involve raptors. Or, maybe I'll just continue to be lackadaisically hypocritical and blog as a non-vegan vegan.



No comments:

Post a Comment